Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Synagogue Years

" 'Cause what if Your blessings come through raindrops
What if Your healing comes through tears
And what if a thousand sleepless nights
Are what it takes to know You’re near
What if my greatest disappointments
Or the aching of this lifeIs the revealing of a greater thirst this world can’t satisfy
And what if trials of this life
The rain, the storms, the hardest nights
Are Your mercies in disguise"~Laura Story

Wow! So yesterday I hit a low point. The Father humbled me under his mighty hand and I know in due time I will be lifted up. But this is not about me but Christ in me. Learning to let go of my will to pursue his. Paul cried many tears on the journey but God was faithful to him and he to Christ. I don't believe in running myself dry and although I learned a lot at BSF last night I truly believe that sometimes the best way we can serve is by giving our time to God. I know right now my energy and strength are low but He will never give me more than I can handle.

My mom told me "People in the church don't know how to rest, they are always substituting activity for intimacy with the Lord." While I do believe we must be active Christians like Paul I also believe that some of his actions were more about time than the activity itself. He allowed others to rest in Christ peace. I do believe that he rested as he prayed in the synagogues, but how much is talked about that in our culture? The 2 years, the few days? No, it's not but it is equally important.

Right now my way of serving God and others is through having time. We do not always have the luxury of this and this might not even be possible in your life but it never hurts to pray you'll get there. One thing that stood out that I miss so much about Laos is the face to face conversations with friends no matter the time or day, being together and living life, grading papers in a room together or reading a book as people sit around me and work on various activities.

Yes, right now, every day (well, let's be realistic almost every day)I wake up and what gets me through the day full of confusion, strife, frustration and various stresses? Jesus, Jesus gets me through. He gets me through prayer, his words, dreams and friends. All of these are his tools for right now I am in His synagogue praying for what the future holds. He humbles me continually and gives me strength reminding me that he is there always. The little blessings that bring such joy are my talks with Lao friends a far, my BSF group and a few friends here and there that I am still in the process of getting to know but are willing to take the time out for me and meet me face to face.

Too often we say serve here, serve there, serve NOW! For there will always be a need. Not there is anything wrong with this this is definitely honorable and necessary. But we forget that people need time to grow, to prepare their hearts before they burn out. In due time all should serve the church and community but in due time, because sometimes the Lord just wants us on our knees in the synagogues.

1 comment:

Amy Beth said...

I love reading your insights and thoughts. Miss you so much.